Wednesday, October 26, 2011

The Deep End of the Pool

Well, I'm still swimming as fast as I can to finish the edits on my next novel, Moonshine. It's proving more challenging than I'd thought it would be but I think the process and effort will end up being worth it. Already, I'm feeling better than ever about the story.

I'm chagrined to think back, let's see, about 11 years, to when I first approached agents with this novel. Believe it or not, I did sign with someone, a very kind and successful older man based in NYC. Unfortunately, he passed away unexpectedly before the novel sold. Maybe it was providence, because the novel is in such better shape now. I like to think of PB up in heaven, maybe looking down on me, smiling and cheering me on. He certainly was very important to my confidence 11 years ago and gave a real boost to my motivation to keep writing in spite of the obstacles.At that time, we didn't anticipate the explosion of electronic publishing or the possibility that this book would become available, no matter what print publishers said.

So, to all aspiring writers out there - don't give up. Remember that your writing is first and foremost your Letter To Yourself, an expression of your innermost thoughts and feelings. Seeing a story metamorphose over time can be extremely satisfying and gratifying. Of course, it's also possible to over-edit. Sort of like kneading bread, you have to know when to stop.

So, all that said, Moonshine WILL BE DONE and available by the end of the year. That's my promise to myself and to me prospective readers.

Au revoir!

No comments:

Post a Comment